Saturday, February 27, 2010
Friday, February 26, 2010
Daffynitions are toss-off definitions, which are basically rib-nudging, brain-tickling one-liners. Let's look at these infuriating, "anti-Websterisms" when applied to a calculator.
1. A battery- or solar-powered electronic version of the abacus.
2. A Christmas toy for those who are prone to breaking things.
3. A brain-substitute device for performing mental calculation.
4. A toy for atrophying one’s mental faculties for doing arithmetic.
5. A God-sent tool over the once indispensable log tables and the slide rule.
6. An affordable collector’s tech-item for pubescent geeks.
7. A banned gadget in many schools but seldom used by government officials.
8. A tool that helps to promote innumeracy if used excessively or indiscriminately.
9. An inexpensive gadget that reduces the drudgery of repetitive or tedious calculations.
10. A piece of technology with near-zero progress in its design and functionality.